Inbound Soldiers


Inbound Soldier Information

When reporting to the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Virginia ensure you have the following paperwork and item(s) on your person:

  • DA Form 31 (Leave Form)
  • Orders (at least 10 copies)
  • Birth Certificate (necessary for security clearance)
  • High School and College (if applies) Diplomas and Transcripts
  • Any Bonus Paperwork (if applicable)
  • DA 4187 (signed) approving Home Town Recruiting (if applicable)
  • Vehicle Registration and Proof of Insurance, Drivers License, also Motorcycle MSF Card (if applicable)
  • 201 File, including 2A and 2-1
  • Enlisted Records Brief (ERB)
  • Medical / Dental Records
  • Most recent NCOER/OER/AER
  • Any and all receipts for travel
  • Government Credit Card
  • Training Records (APFT/weapons qualification/military driver's license)
  • All initial issue clothing items
  • Complete set of IPFU (Improved Physical Fitness Uniform) summer and winter with fleece cap and black gloves
  • Complete Class A uniform and/or ASU (Army Service Uniform)
  • (2) Complete sets of ACU’s with Patrol Cap and Beret
  • All documents needed for dependants (ie. Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificates, and Social Security Cards)

When you arrive in the Washington D.C. area, report to the Regimental Replacement Detachment located at 246 Sheridan Avenue, Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Virginia 22211. (Phone Number - 703-696-7696). The Replacement Duty NCO will handle your in-processing paperwork. Once you have in-processed the Regimental Replacement Detachment (approximately one week), you will then attend the Regimental Indoctrination Program for three weeks prior to being assigned to a company within the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard).

Temporary Lodging is available at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (if pre-arranged), the Days Inn in Arlington, VA, and at Fort Belvoir (especially if traveling with dependents.)

  • Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall Guest Housing / Temporary Lodging (703) 696-3577
  • Days Inn, Arlington (703) 525-0300, outside post
  • Ft Belvoir Guest Housing / Temporary Lodging (703) 805-2300, 20 minute drive

Though Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall is located within Arlington County, VA, many military families live in the surrounding areas. Below is a list of public school websites by county/city.

Arlington County, VA -
Alexandria City, VA -
Fairfax County, VA -
Prince William County, VA -
Prince George's County, VA -
Frederick County, MD -
Montgomery County, MD -


The following downloadable documents outline the available childcare, costs, waitlists, and other options for families being assigned to the MDW Area.

1. Daycare on Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, waitlist procedures and associated forms: [Download] - DOC
2. Cost break down of on-post daycare: [Download] - PDF
3. Comprehensive list of off-post daycare providers: [ Download] - DOC


The phone numbers listed below are for the housing offices on the individual installations within the Military District of Washington. Soldiers and their families may also use the DoD Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN) to help them secure available housing upon relocation.

Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall Housing Office (includes Fort McNair)- (703) 696-3558/3557/3559

Fort Belvoir Family Housing - (703) 454-9700

Fort Meade Housing Office - (410) 672-4570

Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN) -


Soldiers assigned to The Old Guard, and living in the barracks, are assigned a PO Box as part of in processing. Occasionally, Soldiers need to send items ahead of their own arrival (ie: assignment from OCONUS). In this case use the following address:

3d US Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard)
Attn: Regiment S1 - Incoming Soldier
201 Jackson Ave.
Fort Myer, VA 22211


1. If I am assigned to the unit who do I contact first?

The first person you contact is Regimental Indoctrination Program Duty NCO and then your sponsor if you have already been assigned one.

2. What type of housing is available?

All soldiers need to know that housing is expensive and should have a solid plan for immediate housing upon arrival to the MDW area. The best bet is to work with your sponsor to arrange for temporary quarters or work with Army Community Services Representative who can be reached at commercial (703) 696-3510 or DSN 426-3510.

3. Will I have to take an APFT upon arrival?

Yes, you will complete an APFT during your in-processing.

4. Will I have to take a Urinalysis upon arrival?

 Yes, you will be required to conduct urinalysis testing in accordance with Army Regulations.

5. What should I know as a soldier about being an in-state resident if my spouse wants to continue her college education while assigned to The Old Guard?

During your in-processing you will be afforded time to visit the education center where you will be given all the information on local institutions and their policies.

6. What issues do I need to know about concerning TRICARE?

Spouses need to research the TRICARE region switch prior to arriving. This will help them when they do their initial medical In-processing. The TRICARE paperwork takes 3-4 weeks to get into the system. By making the switch early, you will be assured quality medical care immediately.

7. When are Soldiers authorized to take Permissive TDY (PTDY)?

1) A Soldier is authorized to take PTDY for house hunting after written notification of PCS orders, but prior to departure on PCS.
2) A Soldier is authorized to take PTDY for house hunting en route together with leave and travel.
3) A Soldier is authorized to take PTDY for house hunting after arriving at gaining station.

8. If I am married en-route to The Old Guard, what will I need to make the proper changes for my dependents?

All documents needed for dependents (ie. Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificates, and Social Security Cards).